The premise for the Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS) was to provide enhanced plans, equipment resources, and personnel specially trained in CBRNE to respond
to large, complex incidents of all hazard types. As previously explained, the magnitude of these incidents likely exceed the capabilities of routine mutual-aid. A Type 4 HRMMST (an
eight member team) is trained in Medical Consultation and Coordination and may serve in an advisory role for the local Incident Commander/Unified Commander, Medical Branch
Director, or Hazmat Branch Director.
Medical Consultation involves detecting medical symptoms or other indicators when a large number of patients are encountered with symptoms that may be associated with
exposure to CBRNE materials and providing advice to health care entities following a release.
The Type 4 Team is trained to provide assessment of immediate medical needs, coordination of disaster medical resources, coordination of patient distribution, medical evaluation, and coordinating the establishment of temporary field treatment sites. Upon arriving on-scene, the Type 4 Team will immediately obtain a briefing from the Incident Commander/Unified Commander.
The focus of the HRMMST will be the collection, evaluation, dissemination and use of the medical information related to the incident and determining the availability of regional resources to address the following:
- Current Situation, use of Weapons of Mass Destruction
- CBRNE Agent(s) involved/signs and symptoms of patients
- Victim rescue issues
- Patient decontamination issues
- Local EMS/Medical issues (Triage, treatment and transportation)
- Hospital issues
- Physical location of the Incident Command Post
- Location of the HRMMST Base of Operations
- Current meteorological conditions
- Develop protective measures for the region’s medical infrastructure
- Predict probable courses of incident events and develop protective measures and or medical care for the affected population(s)
- Prepare alternative strategies and medical control options for the incident